Monday, April 20, 2015

Europe day 6- Cologne

At this point we're both pretty ready to come home. I miss my family and I need my own pillow...however this is totally the life, just soaking up the sun. We've had the most amazing weather. 

I went on a tour of old town Cologne and the main point of interest was this cathedral. It's a very gothic style building however originally it was white. The black color is due to pollution. You can tell the parts that are recently repaired because they are white again. It's made from sandstone so they can't clean it. 



My grandmas heritage is swiss/German, which is the reason she wanted to visit Switzerland while we were here. She brought with her a postcard written by a family member from 1961 which was in German. This sweet lady knew German and was able to read and translate it for her. She brought her son with her on the trip. He was the 2nd youngest aside from the crew at 32.





No comments:

Post a Comment