Monday, April 20, 2015

Europe day 5- Germany

I am now the well known IPad/IPhone/any technology device guru when the old folks can't figure out why it's not working. I told them I'm going to start charging, I could pay for another trip that way! 

I left my glasses in the table in our room and the cleaner made this super cute elephant!


While ya'll are sleeping, we're cruising down then Rhine. The area we're in today is what I've been looking forward to all along. All of the castles, vineyards, villages, etc are along the river. 




The vineyards are mostly on a hillside so the water will drain. As a result, machines can't fit in the hill so they are picked 100% by hand. 

Most of the castles have been re-built over time since they were damaged during the war.








The train tunnels were built to resemble a castle so soldiers could hide their weapons around them.



I was able to tour the Marksburg castle while grandma went on a bus tour of the local vineyards. This castle was the only one in the area that wasn't damaged during war.



The cannons

 The kitchen 

The bedroom. The story behind this is kinda funny. The bed is about 3 1/2 feet long. now people during This time were only as tall as 5 ft but the reason the beds were so small is because they believed that death would get them while they were sleeping laying down so they slept sitting up. Crazy people...

The commode 

I'm not sure if you can expand this pano picture by clicking on it but this is the view of the Rhine River overlooking the city of Koblenz, Germany from Marksburg castle. Breath taking. 

Beautiful tulips in Koblenz near our ship

Gondolas that take you from one side of the river to the other.


Me:-) I know you missed seeing my face.

This river is so busy with cruise ships, barges, etc. They have a freight train on one side and passenger train on the other but they move most product by river (oil, coal, metal, grain, trash).

I'm honestly not sure how the old
Folks do it, I'm exhausted from all the excursions and tours I could sleep a whole day and still be tired. 











No comments:

Post a Comment